Picture Gallery

< Previous ] Home ] ^ Up ] Next > ]

Peshtigo as it looked in 1881, ten years after the fire. (Notice how few mature trees there are, compared to the 1871 version.)

1) rebuilt Catholic church (the site of the Fire Museum today); 2) restored Peshtigo Company sawmill; 3) new Congregational church (this building was moved across the river in 1926 and later became the Fire Museum).

Bird's eye view of Peshtigo 10 years after the fire

This image courtesy of the Wisconsin Electronic Reader, a cooperative digital imaging project of the University of Wisconsin-Madison General Library System and the Wisconsin Historical Society. Materials from this project may be copied freely by individuals or libraries for personal use, research, teaching (including distribution to classes), or any "fair use" as defined by copyright laws. Anyone interested in any other use of this material is expected to contact the University of Wisconsin-Madison General Library System for permission.

Cite as: Deana C. Hipke. The Great Peshtigo Fire of 1871. <http://www.peshtigofire.info/>
Copyright Notice | Acknowledgements | About This Site